The Directorate carries out the following functions:
- Plan and establish major monitoring and evaluation objectives, priorities, and activities;
- Analyse and interpret data collected for policy formulation;
- Process applications for the granting of exemptions for the mining companies;
- Determine whether the various Mining Companies are keeping to terms of agreements governing their operations;
- Develop and implement systems for monitoring and evaluation of various services within the mineral industry;
- Develop database for monitoring and evaluation indicators;
- Ensure educational drive to discuss and inform on standards, guidelines and innovations.